Autotrader is a publication for buying and selling used cars and motorbikes, originating in the UK. It has had a mobile Website since the early 2000s, but has seen tremendous growth since 2008 particularly. Autotrader Mobile becomes more popular every month, with 1.4 million unique users in August 2011, which breaks down to 60 percent via Autotrader.mobi and 40 percent via mobile apps. At any point there will be 350,000 cars and bikes for sale on Autotrader mobile.
In this interview Amy Gale, mobile marketing manager, Autotrader Mobile answers the following questions:
0:08 What did Autotrader hope to achieve when first investing in Mobile?
0:36 How and when did you decide you needed a mobile site?
1:13 So what has changed between 2008 and 2011?
2:42 How popular is Autotrader Mobile today?
3:18 Is Autotrader Mobile a profitable business in its own right, what difference does that make?
4:44 How do mobile visitor numbers compare to online?
5.24 Why does Autotrader need to have both mobile apps and mobile Web?
6.26 What is the difference between the mobile Web and mobile app audience?
There are nine video interviews in this series:
• How mobile Web should fit into your digital strategy – ILICCO ELIA, head of mobile, LBi
• Autotrader: lessons from a decade on the mobile Web – Amy Gale, Autotrader Mobile
• Five top tips for a great mobile Website – Phillip Clement, Bemoko
• Why HTML5 changes everything – Dimitrios Kontarinis, VP of innovation, Velti
• Mobile’s role in the advertising world – Russ Lidstone, CEO, Euro RSCG
• Device Atlas powers device detection on the Adfonic mobile ad network – Wes Biggs, Adfonic; Eileen O’Sullivan, dotMobi
• Want to engage young people? Think mobile Web – Christian Louca, YOC
• What is mobile government or m-government? – Nick Jones, head of digital, PM’s Office and COI
• What is a mobile affiliate network? – Vianney Settini, MobPartner
• Be the first to know about mobiThinking news, guides, competitions etc… follow mobiThinking on Twitter: @mobithinking.
And don’t miss:
• What makes EMEA the world’s most exciting mobile market? Interview with Paul Berney, MD, MMA EMEA
• Compelling content: tips for making useful, sticky mobile Web sites and apps (part 1)
• The mobile city project – the blueprint of a truly mobilized city
• The insider’s guide to device detection: give your Website visitors the site they deserve
• The insiders’ guides to world’s greatest mobile markets • Latest country guide: Brazil
• Guide to mobile ad networks
• Guide to mobile agencies
• Guide to mobile industry awards
• The big compendium of global mobile stats